Friday, October 30, 2009

For my husband

We have a joke around here that I spend more time creating schedules and plans then I actually spend putting them into practice. And unfortunately, that's the truth. I live for a crisis; in fact I often leave things til the last minute in order to create a crisis (not consciously, that is just what happens), but the day-to-day consistent stuff is a constant struggle. I have a feeling that it will be a struggle for ever.

I get excited about a plan I have, I do a superb job at it for around one week, then it fizzles out, time and time again. Come to think of it, I do that pretty consistently - start things I don't finish. Awesome. Just kidding. That is not awesome.

I don't know if there are other moms that also struggle with this. My attempts at routine and scheduling are not intense, yet somehow I cannot manage to stick to a plan. Most of my friends describe how their husbands have to tell them to rest and to take a break from cleaning and tidying up. I am pretty sure that has never (and will never) happen around here. I am especially conscious of this lack of consistency as I raise my children, as I alluded to here. If there are others out there like me (hello? do you exist?) I would love to hear how you combat this.
Here are some of my attempts at organization and scheduling:


I actually stuck with the schedule on top for about three weeks. Then I got sick, overwhelmed, and the thought of digging out of the hole I created for myself (example: laundry) was more than I could handle, so I gave up.

Because he loves me, my hubs knows when I need a little encouragement to get back on track with my schedule. Check out the note he left me this morning - it made me smile. He even gave me something to look forward to. Sweep, mop, then a cup of tea. (No, the incentive of a clean kitchen floor is not enough to get me going. I've been trucking along just fine with the floor exactly as it is, thankyouverymuch.)



But because I love my husband and because his note was so endearing, I followed his instructions and now I am enjoying my clean floors. And my tea.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I absolutely Love this post! Can I get a Chet elf?! What a great way to give a little nudge. I love you guys! XOXOXOXO

HumbuckerChapell said...

Love it- how awesome that our husbands love us through (not in spite of...) these habits (or sometimes, lack of!).

I just poured some coffee but now I want tea:)

BTW, I'll be cleaning here all.day.long.

brite said...

That's great! And doing it for him is a great motivation. You guys are too funny!