Monday, November 2, 2009

Why Oh Y

We joined the YMCA in June. I used it pretty much every day for about two weeks, maybe three. Then I got pregnant and going every day dwindled down to every other day, which turned into twice a week, which became never.

Until I stepped on the scale yesterday and realized that I had indeed done it again. Ten pounds in 3 weeks. Believe me when I say that I am not averse to pregnancy weigh gain. Not in the slightest. There is something I love about getting bigger and bigger, odd though it might be. My sister and I even came up with some wonderful phrases to describe each trimester of pregnancy - pleasantly plump, large and in charge, and finally rotund and no fun. I just think this time, healthy weight gain would be better. So far, I have been all about the sweets.

So to ease my conscience (and to make use of our year-long Y membership) I went to work out yesterday. Nothing ambitious, mind you. Just 2 miles in 30 minutes on the eliptical. (Let's be honest, even Sharks could do that.) But it was great.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I took the kids back to the Y in the afternoon to go swimming. They loved it. I wasn't sure how it would go, seeing as the last time we went swimming, Chet was with me. But loading them up with flotation devices worked. For the first time ever, Sharks tried to swim without his arms flung around my neck.

By the end of our swimming time, he didn't want me to touch him at all. Victory!

2 comments:

brite said...

Don't be so sure about the fact that even Sharks could do that on the eliptical. I hopped back on last week and made it for 12 minutes, but that was only because I was watching the office and didn't want to turn it off. :) You must not be terribly out of shape if you made it for 30 minutes! Then I got the flu...I think exercise makes me sick. Way to go for starting over.

Mama Hutch said...

Brite, I would be willing to bet you $500 (if I had it) that your attempt at the elliptical was much more intense than mine...I was practically walking.