Friday, November 13, 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

No matter what I make, somehow I always have leftover pumpkin. Clearly there's some kind of capitalistic scheme going on here and the pumpkin people are in cahoots with the recipe people so that we are forced to buy more pumpkin than any recipe ever calls for.

Throwing the extra pumpkin away is simply not an option in our household (remember that my husband will eat things like this rather than throw them away.)

So when my sister-in-law passed on this recipe, I was thrilled. And it tastes a gazillion times better than the coffeemate version.


Pumpkin Spice Latte
(two servings)

1 cup half-and-half
3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 cup strong brewed hot coffee
3 tablespoons sugar
pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste

1. Combine half-and-half and canned pumpkin in a saucepan, place over medium heat and stir constantly. Heat until boiling but not burnt.

2. Remove the mixture and pour into a blender. Whip in high speed for 20 seconds.

3. Pour the mixture in a large cup, add coffee, stir in sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Enjoy!

I use whole milk & just dump the sugar & pumpkin pie spice in the milk before I add my coffee. Last time I made it I actually didn't even blend it and it still tasted great (but in the future I plan on blending - it got progressively more pumpkin-ish as I got closer to the bottom of my mug.)

2 comments:

Michael and Mandy said...

Nuts! I just used my leftovers in pancakes this morning. Now I will have to open another can.

Amanda said...

i make these too! SO yummy and a lot cheaper than at a coffee place!