Monday, January 4, 2010

Maybe we'll just name him Winston

Maybe we'll just name him Winston.

Maybe. Or not. Whatever the case, we are seriously struggling with names for our latest little dude over here. We each have names we like; they are just very different names.

Sharks said yesterday that he wanted to call the new baby "Stinky" because it sounds beautiful.

(Stinky happens to be his most favoritest word at the moment. Sharks kept saying, "Hey Stinky," to his cousin who he hasn't seen in a year, to which his cousin replied, "No, I'm Ethan." To which Sharks insisted, "Stinky." Repeat this scenario about a 37 times per day, and that is how these 3-year old cousins interacted.

Sometimes, Sharks will even say, "Mommy, when I say 'stinky', you say 'bookshelf,' ok?" Insert any other inanimate object and repeat 153 times, and that is how we spent our 10-hour drive home from Georgia.)

I digress.

So, anyway. Chet heard this interview with historian Paul Johnson about his new biography of Winston Churchill. Johnson recounted the time when he was 16 years old that he met Churchill and asked, "Mr. Winston Churchill, sir, to what do you attribute your success in life?"

Churchill responded, "Conservation of energy. Never stand up when you can sit down. And never sit down when you can lie down."

I always knew I liked that Churchill fellow. My mother-in-law even tells me that he wrote his speeches in the bathtub and had a board he could rest across the tub in case he needed to read or write on it.

Now that is what I call genius. Though I've gotta be honest. Even though it's comforting to hear that someone famous likes his rest, I've been, shall we say, conserving energy all my life and I have yet to be Prime Minister.

3 comments:

ArtTxLinds said...

i say no to Winston, but i'm all for names like Lars or Hans or Lief

Leah said...

our neighbors dog's name is Winston.

Mama Hutch said...

yeah...totally kidding with the whole winston thing...but keep the suggestions coming!