Monday, January 11, 2010

Back in the swing of things

Chet started classes again today. Nice to be back in a routine, but having him gone was a bummer. And we jumped right back in big time since he had class until 9:30. Talk about a LONG day. For the whole family.

After dinner I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make it til bedtime what with all the fussing and fighting. At least I knew I wouldn't be able to make it with a good attitude until bedtime. Then I remembered this post a friend of mine wrote, so I asked the Lord for the strength to make it because it was apparent that I couldn't do it on my own. And He provided just what I needed.

Peace even though I was tired. Knowledge that I could enjoy my children simply by sitting and chatting with them while they played. Inspiration to get out the kids' new "activities" (that's what Sharks calls them.) Basically it's different stuff I've collected for them to sort and lace and organize, all contained within a tray or basket. They sit in their seats at the table so they are secure, separated, yet still together. Just the thing.

I got a bunch of the ideas from this website, Tot School. It's been helpful, and I figure I will have a bunch of tots around here for the next few years, so what the hey. Better get a move on.

I am curious about what sorts of activities you other stay-at-home moms do with your kids that are calm but purposeful? Like play-doh, blocks, etc. Or what sort of set up have you instituted so that you can work with one kid at a time on different things?

We are sooooo not ready for real school, but like my dad always says, "Every day's a school day."

3 comments:

Michael and Mandy said...

Sometimes I roll butcher paper over the whole kitchen table and put all the markers, etc in the middle - then we eat on it for supper. We started to "family exercise" - turn on music and make them work out! But I'm teaching them some things that help with manual dexterity that will help them with writing, reading etc. - not because we are over achievers and I am anxious for them to get ahead...just figured we could be purposeful with stuff. I started doing a memory box with O. You walk around and get them to pick out about 6-8 smallish objects. Lay them out on the ground and name them all. Then put on in the box and close the lid. Ask what's in the box. Add another item. Ask what they just put in - then, what they put in before. She how far they can go. She could only do 2 a few days ago and she remembered 4 today. Plus they like playing with the little items and keeping the box in a special place.
I'm always desperate in this department too. I started using a phonics book with O. this week and there are a bunch of fun little activity ideas in it - that has helped.

Michael and Mandy said...

When are you due?

Mama Hutch said...

Thanks for your ideas! I really like the butcher paper one. I have found that having some purposeful activity time really helps set the tone for the day...especially since I am scatterbrained by nature - I finally have to admit that structure is a good thing.

Anyway, I am due March 11...9 weeks to go! What's your due date?