Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Not what I was expecting

So something different happened at my doc appointment this week and it was weeeeird.

I stepped on the scale and found out that I have gained only 2 pounds in the last 6 weeks. Well, howdy-doody, whaddya know?!

This is after 2 months of 10 lbs each, so I was stunned. Especially because I haven't really been following my doctor's orders to cut out desserts completely. Chet was frustrated because I kept saying I wouldn't eat desserts all Christmas break when in reality I had dessert every single night.

All that to say, I have no idea how I didn't gain much. Is it possible for your body to just reach a weight gain limit?

Then, the doc said I was measuring small. Also weird since I tend to have average-to-large sized babies (Sharks was 8#10 oz and Deeds was 8#8 oz).

So today I had an ultrasound to measure the little guy and everything was just fine. Apparently he is about 4#13 oz. Though I am skeptical about how much they can really predict that.

It seems that I was measuring "small" because the baby is actually transverse at the moment. It is bizarre since I can feel and see his head pushing out from my belly.


Kinda like this, except that his spine is at the top. At this point, we are hopeful that the baby will flip on his own. Eight more weeks to go, so that should be enough time.

Those of you who have had breech babies, what did you do to get them to flip?

4 comments:

Emily said...

Tripp was breech till about two weeks before, but all I had to do was wait, according to my doc, he had plenty of room to flip around- since I am tall. I am not sure if that method will work as well for you :)

Anonymous said...

At my birthing center they have an acupuncturist and a chiropractor that can do amazing things to turn babies and they have a really high success rate. My baby is somewhat sunny side up at the moment and I have the chiroprator there doing some adjustments to make sure my pelvis allows for him to turn properly. they say 9 times out of 10 they end up turning correctly for birth. Also, check out Spinningbabies.com, great website that has some exercises you can do to help the baby into the correct position! Its a really neat website.

Mama Hutch said...

It is so funny that you mentioned that, Katie, cause I went to a chiropractor this week! For the first time ever! And I also checked out that website the other day too...crazy! Great minds. ;) Hope your little guy flips soon for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh good Im glad you saw a chiropractor. I went to the birth center yesterday and hes in a great position, no more sunny side up! Im sure your little one will turn, you have plenty of time to turn the baby. A really good one is called the "polar bear" where you get on the floor, or bed or whatever and get on all 4s, get your butt up in the air and your chest and head down on the floor, supported by a pillow. Make sure your butt is really up in the air and kinda sway or move it side to side with exaggerated movements and that is supposed to help sway them into the right position. Hope it helps!