Saturday, March 21, 2009

Review of "Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Connor

Though I have read a few of Flannery O’Connor’s short stories, the only one of her novels I have read is Wise Blood. Here are a few of my thoughts on some major themes.

O’Connor often uses the grotesque as a metaphor for human sin and depravity. In Wise Blood she presents the reader with numerous grotesque people and occurences–if you have a weak stomach, you may want to pass on this one. There were a couple times I was thinking, what the heck?! and of course I immediately read those parts to Chet, because who doesn’t like to share something yucky? (You know you’ve done it, like “Ewww, this smells really disgusting. Here, smell it.” You know what I’m talking about.)

I am reading another book right now called The Life You Save May Be Your Own which is about four authors and their intersecting lives, one of whom is Flannery O’Connor. The author of that book, Paul Elie, notes that O’Connor spent her life feeling different from other people, an oddity, a freak, you might say (maybe growing up Catholic in the South was enough to do that.) Anyway, perhaps that is why so many of her characters seem to be lifted out of a freak show themselves.

Another main theme in Wise Blood is the search for truth amidst the reality of hypocrisy. Hazel Motes, the main character, is on a quest to rid himself of his religious past (both his father and grandfather were preachers). Rather than seeing the salvation of Christ as a gift, Hazel acts as though God were out to get him.

Hence fleeing the grasp of Christ’s salvation becomes his ambition; in a sense, he sees this escape as his salvation. He determines that he has no soul, therefore he needs no Christ to save him; thus in a turn of irony, Hazel begins to preach the 'Church Without Christ.'

Despite Hazel’s blatant rejection of Christ, he cannot completely remove himself from Christianity. The end of the novel finds him desperately attempting to create salvation for himself through self-flagellation (wearing barbed wire under his shirt and rocks in his shoes).

Overall, I am not sure what to make of this novel. I feel as though I have a basic understanding of the themes I mentioned, but I would like to get a little more of a grasp on O'Connor's presentation of redemption.

Wise Blood was a pretty quick read, definitely interesting, and I plan to read it again once I finish The Life You Save May Be Your Own in the hope that I will gain more insight the second time around.

If you have read Wise Blood, I would love to hear your thoughts.

(If you want to read more...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_Blood)

3 comments:

Michael and Mandy said...

I've got a book of short stories by female Southern writers. I just read Good Country People by F.O. She seems really obscure, but when you think a little more about it...well, it is still obscure, but interesting. I would love to talk about that one with you - it is short. I don't think I could Wise Blood read right now. Mandy

Mama Hutch said...

Mandy, is the book you have called 'Downhome'? I've got that one too ;) I have read Good Country People...also a strange one, if I remember correctly.

Michael and Mandy said...

That's it. Good, you've read it. Want to get together to play...the kids that is so we can talk about it?