Monday, March 23, 2009

Chet didn't marry me for my housekeeping skills

I am kind of ADD. Anything that takes more than two steps to complete, forget it.

We have worked out some simple systems for stuff like the dishes (I wash, Chet puts them away), our closets (we each have our own), and the kids toys (baskets to separate Sharks' and Deedo's toys).

Pretty much every household task can be broken down into steps. Here are some of the ones I've figured out:

Vacuuming - 1 step (vacuum! love to do this!)
Mopping the floor - 2 steps (sweep first, then mop)
Dishes - 3 steps (clear table, wash dishes, put away dishes)

And the bain of my existence:
Laundry - 7 steps (take laundry downstairs, separate colors, wash, dry, take clean laundry upstairs, fold, put away)

My main problem is that there are so many opportunities to forget or get distracted during the laundry process. I always forget to switch it over (many times I have to wash my clothes twice because they sit in the washer for a few days before I remember to switch it over). Or I forget the soap (really). Or I forget to fold it. Or on my way to the basement with the laundry basket I pass through the kitchen and see the dishes spilling out of my sink. So I run the laundry basket downstairs and then run right back up to do the dishes. Oops, forgot the laundry. Again.

Anyway, I have finally come up with a method that works (most of the time). I put the laundry in the washing machine, set the kitchen timer, and go about my business until the timer rings. Then I switch over the laundry to the dryer and start the process all over again.

For now that is about the extent of my skills. But I do LOVE this post and I am totally making those cute little bins for our laundry once I get better at actually doing it.

2 comments:

ArtTxLinds said...

just give me a call- i'll talk you through it!

brite said...

Ha! I convinced my sister-in-law to create a similar system as my Mom's in her laundry room. Glad to know my Mom is inspiring all across the fruited plain.