Saturday, August 29, 2009

International Festivities

Chet and I have always loved international stuff. I mean, we went to Ecuador on our honeymoon. One year, for my birthday/Christmas present, Chet took me to New York City for a week and my favorite memories are of the great food we ate there. One night we had Japanese, one night Ethiopian, and one night Korean food. What can I say? I really like food.

Anyway, today there was an international festival at a park near our house , so we hopped on over to check it out. We got to see some African Tribal Dancers, some Palestinian dancers, and kung fu guys.

Plus, there was all this food. Tons. Booth after booth of every kind of international food around. Like Cuban and Afghan and Greek and Senegalese and Polish. And tons more. I was a bit lame-o and went with Greek food. Not the most exotic choice. But ever since someone at book club mentioned eating a gyro that is all I have wanted. My husband on the other hand, picked out an Ethopian meal. Very tasty. There was this bread-like stuff called injera that you dip in a bunch of sauces (we had a cabbage and potato sauce and some kind of curry sauce). And the guy at the Afghan booth was giving away samples of persian eggplant burani.

And since we love to eat international food, it was awesome to sort of try before you buy.

So far we haven't been brave enough to spend our date money on an ethnic restaurant that we weren't sure about. But now that we know the Afghan and especially the Ethiopian restaurants are pretty kick-A, I think we'll go for it.

No comments: