Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What I learned from the fruit flies

Due to an unforeseen rotten onion, we got a plague of fruit flies. (Unforseen: in a pot, bottom of the shelf. No clue the onion turned on me.)

All last week, I declared war on those dang flies. Everything food related went into the fridge. All dishes were immediately washed. As soon as the food was gone, the table was instantly wiped down. Are you sensing the urgency?

And I was seriously annoyed the whole time, because sometimes I don't like to do the dishes right away, you know? I even remember asking myself, WHY in the world did God make fruit flies? They are just a HUGE pain in the you-know-what. What purpose do these silly little things serve?

Well, I still have no clue what their biological/eternal purpose is, but because of those flies, I learned that our home runs much more smoothly when I finish one thing before I start the next.

My mother has been trying to teach that for years. As has my husband.

But give the fruit flies one week...and presto! New woman. Ha.

This is a big deal because I tend to live by feeling...if I don't feel like doing the dishes, I don't, until I absolutely have to. And then of course, the stress amps up because I have created a disaster through my inaction. You know who pays for that? The kids and Chet.

So at the end of the day, I am thankful for those fruit flies and more importantly, for the God who created them and gave them to me for the week. Now that I can see the blessings that come with being responsible, my prayer is that I can keep it up.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

LOVE your updated profile pictures of the kiddos. And I think it's great that you can praise God for the fruit flies. But mosquitoes in a completely different league. I've yet to find myself rejoicing over those frustrating little buggers! :)