Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sticks and stones





Since Chet has class two nights each week, I've been trying to use the time to get the boys in the woods, or at the very least outside somewhere where it doesn't feel like the city.

Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience of the city and the way it feels so full of life (especially when you live so close to your neighbors that you can see into their dining room from yours.)

But the older the boys get, the more I want them outside, digging in the mud and building forts and picking up bugs.

I learned some things on our first "hike."

1)Deeds walks slowly.
2) Deeds walks slowly because he is examining every single rock and stick he sees.
3)Deeds will try to pick up and carry every rock and stick he sees which makes him walk even more slowly.

Note to self: next time, take a stroller.

The thing is, Deedo's slowpoke rambling made me realize how often I hurry the boys along. I had to consciously tell myself that we weren't going anywhere in particular, that the whole point was to simply be outside, exploring and enjoying all that God has created. So it ended up being good for me too.

No comments: