Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Skirtain

Back in the fall, I found a couple of fashion blogs that I've enjoyed. One of them is kind of vintage-inspired, and I like that she wears weird things but still rocks them.

Since our clothes budget is practically non-existant, I thought I could find a few things at a thrift store that would add a little vintage-y fun into my wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Enter this skirt. I chopped off a couple feet and hemmed it above the knee. Throw on some tights and boots, and it was ready to go.


(Evidence that I am a mom and not a fashion blogger: baby sock on floor.)

I was well satisfied with my afternoon's sewing project and was feeling all cute in my vintage-inspired skirt when Chet came home and asked, "Is that your Halloween costume?" I admit I could have styled it better, but come on!

Guess how many times I've worn it since?

So, after finding this blog, which I love and would wear almost everything she does, I noticed her easy skirt tutorial. After the Halloween skirt debacle, I decided to give it a try to redeem myself.





I went on a hunt to find some material or fabric of sorts, and found a beautiful curtain panel for $3 at Goodwill. Including the cost of the elastic, the skirt - or skirtain, get it?! - cost $4 total. Not too bad. I think it turned out quite well.

Plus, I am loving the flannel plaid pockets, made out of an old shirt of Chet's.

5 comments:

Josh and Corinne said...

Erin - I heard all about this skirt from Suzanne who was raving about it--and now I see why! It's awesome!

HumbuckerChapell said...

I am so glad you posted this!! I am sewing an apron (I know, how advanced of me) right now and keep thinking about that skirtain you rocked before Christmas. Love it!

Unknown said...

um, awesome! and way cool to say you "upcycled" a curtain into a skirt. i definitely need to try this.

Unknown said...

have you ever seen "the sartorialist" blog? i always look longingly at the people he photographs.

oh and do you ever look through Anthropologie catalogs? i saw some outfits recently that reminded me of you.

Mama Hutch said...

Hey Corinne! Glad you finally commented ;) I will totally make another skirt if that's what it takes!

Roxana, I have looked at the Sartorialist a bit and mostly I like that he photographs normal people. Also, Anthropologie is a fave...I love their catalogs and pretty much drool every time I get it.