Monday, November 8, 2010

October Reading List

Previous book lists -
Summer
September


Books from the past month:

Lost City Radio, Daniel Alarcon - Felt like I was waiting for a punchline/climax that never happened.

The Sunday Philosophy Club, Alexander McCall Smith - I read all of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books and figured I'd give this one a try. A nice mystery, without being too dark.

Little Bee, Chris Cleave - a beautiful and tragic tale of a Nigerian refugee in the UK. A really well-constructed novel. The insights of Little Bee (main character) are brilliant and adorable - "no one likes each other, but everyone likes U2." Made me cry.

The Clear Skin Diet, Alan C. Logan and Valori Treloar - And now I'm taking Fish Oil every day. And trying to stay away from refined sugar. I will let you guess how that's going.

Mr. Popper's Penguins, Richard and Florence Atwater - Read to the boys. Totally worth it - if you didn't read this in your childhood, read it now. Will post more about this later.

Baby, We Were Meant For Each Other, Scott Simon - heard about it on NPR one day. I've read more compelling memoirs and books about adoption that were more inspiring to me, but all in all, a fine book.

The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson - Love the mystery of it, not so into the subject matter at times. Verdict's still out on whether I will read the third in the series.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, Christopher McDougall - Loved this book. Well-written, interesting, and informative. If you are wondering about the bare-foot running craze, or just like a good piece of journalistic literature, it's definitely worth a read.

Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen - Just read it. Yes, you.

1 comment:

brite said...

Once again, blown away by you. WOW, girl! Even if my husband was in law school I still wouldn't accomplish this much. (!) And the new pictures of the boys (well, new to me...guess I haven't been around in a while) are so wonderful! When did your oldest get to be a big boy??? They are all so cute.