Monday, September 7, 2009

Crash. And then another crash.

Sharks fell all.the.way.down the stairs today, from the upstairs to the main floor. I was in the basement doing laundry, so I didn't see it, but oh, I heard it and it sounded bad. He has a big goose egg on his forehead and a few other bruises. Thankfully, that was it - no broken bones or even a concussion. Praise the Lord. It was scary.

Apparently I panic during stuff like this. And since I'm kind of squeamish, I was nervous there would be blood, in which case I'd run the other way and let Chet take over. But there was no blood, just a huge, huge, growing bump on Sharks forehead, so I kept telling myself to take deep breaths and stay calm so I didn't freak out Sharks any more than necessary. I think we did ok. Got the ice. Stopped the crying. Had some chocolate milk.

Then this afternoon, we went downtown for Stage 1 of the Tour of Missouri. If you are interested, you can watch a clip here. I won't bore you with cycling info, but a lot of very talented riders were here for the race. (My dad is a huge cycling fan, and it's become a family tradition to watch the Tour de France together every summer, so seeing some of those riders do their stuff in person was sweet.) Plus we got to ring our cowbell. For realsies.

The race was 10 laps of 7.5 miles, so we were there for about 3 hours, watching the cyclists loop around the city. We walked around quite a bit to keep the boys interested and made a stop at some fountains for much needed playtime. Our final watching point was about 300 meters away from the finish, and lo and behold, on the last sprint of the day, there was a CRASH right in front of us. Just so you get the picture, there was a group of 118 cyclists, going maybe 40 miles per hour, careening towards the finish line. Though only two riders crashed and the rest of the peloton managed to avoid them, it was pretty intense. One guy got his biking shorts totally shredded up to his bum. (Can you say road rash?) But in the end, everyone crossed the finish line.

1 comment:

Jonesey said...

Mama Hutch, I feel your pain with the fall of Sharks. Josh fell down our stairs when we lived in Philly. He was probably 10 months old went he went head first down the stairs and I thought he was with Jones and Jones thought he was in the back of our apartment so he was laying on the floor and our downstairs neighbor (and friend) found him at the bottom of the stairs and picked him up also only bruised up. It was so awful I almost passed out, and there was no blood :)

I'm glad he's ok!