Saturday, February 5, 2011

How to warm up on a cold winter's day

I'm supposed to take soup to our Kingdom Group dinner tomorrow. No big deal, right? I went to the grocery store, picked up all the ingredients, and came home to start cooking.

After chopping and sauteing all the shallots and opening all the cans of beans, I realized that I had forgotten to buy chicken broth. Rookie mistake. So I figured I'd just make a simple vegetable broth, with onion, celery, and carrots.

Are you sensing the impending disaster?

(I wasn't.)

Just as I was measuring the broth to add to the soup pot, I knocked the whole pot of boiling hot broth all over myself.

I totally lost my cool. (Why do I love puns so much? Somebody stop me.) The only thing I could think of other than AAAaagggh the PAIN! was, "Get these clothes off of me!!" so I started ripping my clothes off and crying. I mean, it really, really hurt.

Then I screamed for Chet, and he came running, and poor Sharks saw the whole thing and was just standing there, stunned.

I hopped in the shower for some relief from the burning. And then, at the advice from a doctor friend, I headed to an urgent care since my stomach was already blistering.

But due to all the snow, I couldn't get our van out of the parking space. (We live in the city and our streets aren't plowed and it's a real lose-lose situation for everyone.) So that was fun. I was thinking, Forget this, I'll just lie down in the snow for a few minutes.

Thankfully my husband is awesome and got me on my way. The doctor asked how I got the burns and I told her that I poured boiling vegetable broth on myself. She said, "By accident, I hope."

Ummm, yes. If I wanted to pour boiling liquid on myself, I would have just used water and saved myself the trouble of chopping all those veggies. Anyway. The nurse "dressed my burns" which is just fancy talk for "covered it with a couple big band-aids," and gave me some ointment.

On Facebook this morning I was joking that I'd rather give birth again than cut Deedo's hair (which I did this morning - bad idea #1 of the day.) Now I know that I would also rather give birth than pour boiling broth on myself.

4 comments:

Brandywine said...

so sorry you got burned!!! wanted you to know we miss yall and i am enjoying reading your blog every now and then. i hope the snow melts soon so yall can go outside!
Leslie Wood

Jonesey said...

OOOOh! OUCH! That sounds so awful! Glad Chet was home. I hope you picked up some dinner on the way home! At least you still have your sense of humor. Have you ever heard Brian Regan talking about driving yourself to the Emergency Room. Pretty funny. No, you go ahead, you're shot.

That might not make sense out of context but still funny.

I hope you heal up quickly!!!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! i'm glad that you're ok!!!!!

brite said...

You are so funny...I'm still laughing about saving yourself the effort of chopping all those veggies. I feel the SAME way about haircuts. :-P