Monday, May 24, 2010

Potty training, Round 2

I told myself that on the first warm day after finals, I would start potty-training Deedo. And today was that day.

(Though for the record, I had no idea how hot it actually was, only that it was over 85 degrees in our house and since I came up with this awesome plan not to turn on the a/c at all this summer, I decided that we would just deal with the heat.)

Let me tell you, there is nothing like sweating, keeping a squirmy toddler on a potty, playing legos, and nursing, all at the same time. One of those moments you just have to chuckle.

"Here you go, drink some more juice."

"No honey, don't put the lego in the baby's ear."

Is that sweat or milk running down my arm?

"You are doing great, buddy, just keep sitting there."

"Sure, I can rebuild your lego car. Again."

Whoops, the baby just pooped.

"Hold on a sec, I gotta get the baby situated."

"Ok, here's that lego."

"Careful, buddy, you knocked over my water."

I hope that's just water. Please not the potty.

"And legos do not belong IN the potty."

Yet somehow, it was a wonderful day. Sharks did a great job encouraging his little bro every time he peed in the potty. (Seems like just yesterday we were potty training him!) We did tons of high fives and jelly beans. Deeds is excited about his Elmo "U's" (that is what we call underwear in this house. I know. Bizarro.)

Mostly I just set the timer every 20 minutes, then Deeds would sit on the potty for 5. And pretty much every time he would do a little something. (I also let him go crazy with the chocolate milk.) Of course there were a few accidents. Par for the course.

Tomorrow we will continue. Hopefully by the end of the week we will no longer have two in diapers!! And won't that be a joyous day for all.

No comments: