Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kitchen Cosmetics

For some reason, I have recently gotten interested in natural body products. Though "products" makes it sound more intense than it is. To be honest, my bathroom now looks like a mini kitchen cabinet. Most of my body products are also stuff you can eat. (Not that you'd always want to - castor oil, anyone?)

Awhile ago, I wrote this post about washing my hair with baking soda and vinegar. That was my first foray into the weird world of kitchen cosmetics.

I also started using coconut oil instead of lotion, and I absolutely love it! My skin is so smooth now. And I made and use this deodorant, which works great, though it took a little getting used to. I added a dab of lavendar essential oil to it since that's my favorite scent.

Then after reading my friend Brite's post about her face washing method, I figured it was time to give some natural skin care methods a try.

I have had acne-prone skin since I was in sixth grade, and I have tried pretty much every thing to clear my skin, mostly all horrible chemicals and antibiotics. Of course that all stopped when I started having kids, but my skin was still bad, bad, bad.

Nothing I've tried has produced long term results, so I decided to try the Oil Cleansing Method. Why not go crazy and rub oil all over my face? I won't bother explaining it - only to say that I pretty much exactly follow the method on the link. I did have to adjust my oil mixture because it was a bit too drying at first.

My face washing routine is now the Oil Cleansing Method every other day, followed by a swipe of tea tree oil. On the days I don't cleanse with oil, I use the tea tree and eucalyptus soap from Oil and Spice (thanks, Brite!) followed by a swipe of tea tree oil. If my skin feels dry, I rub on a dab of coconut oil.

After about a month of use, I am happy to say that I have never had better skin. Today Chet even asked if I had makeup on because my skin looked nice - and I wasn't wearing any makeup at all! If you have ever had troublesome skin, you know how awesome that moment was for me ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok I'm going to try all of these. I love that you do this stuff and inspire me to do it too!

ArtTxLinds said...

hmmm i want to try the oil method for my face- florida humidity is killer on my face!

Mama Hutch said...

Linds, you should totally try it. It really works for me!

Sage said...

Erin- that's awesome. I noticed too that your skin looked really nice and was going to tell you, but forgot :) i will have to join you in your adventures. Are you still doing the baking soda thing for washing your hair?

Amanda said...

are you for real? i could use some help here, getting too old to still be having this problem! thanks for the info!