Friday, May 27, 2011

The straw that broke the camel's back

I've got some big things to post about, like Chet's graduation (which was last week) and Chet's birthday (which was two months ago.) As you can see, I am on top of things as per usual.

But for today, I want to tell you about why I am never going grocery shopping again.

Ever.

And that is not an exaggeration.

Within the last six months we have successfully:

1. Knocked over a six pack of beer.
2. Knocked over a display of tomato sauce.
3. Dropped a glass bottle of iced tea.
4. Knocked over a full bag of groceries at the counter.

But today took the cake.

Maybe it's the Grocery Store's passive-agressive way of telling me to LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK without actually saying it. Well, Grocery Store. Never let anyone tell you that being passive-agressive isn't a good way to express your feelings. Because it worked.

Like I said, NEVER going back.

We did our usual Grocery Shopping Configuration. Buckled Finn into the front of the cart. Plopped Deedo into the back. Sharks was walking.

There was that one time I let both Sharks and Deeds walk and that ended badly. So now the general idea is to keep as many kids contained as possible, and we (usually) manage alright.

I stopped to get some hotdogs for our camping trip and as I was deciding how many packages to get, there was this CRASH. A really loud one.

Followed by some screaming.

I turned around in a hurry to see a tangle of flailing legs and arms and the cart tipped over sideways on top of Sharks.

Much, much screaming.

I did not know it was possible for all of my children to hit their heads on the floor at the same time, barring a tornado or car accident or something.

(It's possible.)

Poor Finn was stuck, hanging there upside down. It's a good thing he was buckled, or he could have also been squished under the cart.

Deeds was the least injured and the loudest screamer. Go figure.

Sharks, unfortunately was trapped under the cart and ended up with the worst injuries (which were just big bruises on his shins and a bump on his forehead.)

It was one of those things where everyone is screaming and you don't know who to help first and you kind of want to lose it too and join in the screaming.

Thankfully they hire friendly people at Trader Joe's (I'll be honest - sometimes they are too friendly and a little creepy-like, but today I was thankful, even for the creepy-friendlies) so we were quickly assisted and given lollipops.

The funny thing is, we had just been at Target and the lady in line behind us mentioned how well behaved the boys were and how sweet they were.

(Pride comes before the fall, anyone?)

Somehow, she was standing right next to us at Trader Joe's when this happened and was the first to run over to help. She was kind enough to hold Finn while I tended to the other two. And she didn't make me feel any worse than I already did.

Anyway, the boys are all fine. Ultimately I think it was more dramatic than traumatic. I mean, it was a scene. People all over the store kept asking how the boys were doing, which was nice, but I still felt all adrenalined up and it was stressing me out. Even after a relatively normal trip to the store, by the time we make it back to the car, I usually feel like I am about to have a panic attack. This time I just wanted to cry.

So that's it, Grocery Store. We're through.

5 comments:

Jonesey said...

oh, I am so sorry. Our biggest disaster was at the bilo and an orange juice slipped off the front of the cart and splashed everywhere. Laura stephens happened to also be in the bi lo at the time :)

But one time we were in the Aldi's and the boys tipped the cart over. Thankfully the cart wasn't full and very thankfully Josh wasn't with us at the time. But it was still scary to me.

But TJ carts should at least be smaller than most, at least you weren't at Walmart.

Hey! Maybe the cart was defective! Maybe you should sue TJ's. I'm sure you have a good lawyer :)

Anonymous said...

yep, that's happened to me. Trader Joes, cart falls sideways on top of crying children, big scene, everyone stares. Except my "i'm never taking kids to the grocery store again" experience happened because of that darn sample table and my middle child's juice obsession. i won't go into detail. ;)

Unknown said...

ok. seriously. we plan grocery trips together from now on. i watch your kids and my kids sleep really well at night from all the fun of having your kids over. it's a perfect exchange.

Unknown said...

also, beware of shopping carts at TJ Maxx. they tip over, too. soooo scary.

Mama Hutch said...

Elly! Soooo sorry it happened to you too. But a little glad that it's not just me! Maybe we really should sue TJs...ha! I gotta say, I am curious about your juice incident.