Friday, April 9, 2010

One of those days

My wonderful mother-in-law has been here this week. And she has given me two of the best presents you can give a mother - sleep and time.

I got to sleep in every single day this week - score!

And I got to run errands by myself (or with the baby) which is so much faster and less tiring than hauling everybody around.

Anyway, I was at the library yesterday finishing our taxes when my mother-in-law called to say that our sewer had backed up and our basement had about 2 inches of water and yucky everywhere.

I mean really. I was doing taxes (a metaphorical load of poop) and then we had to have a sewer problem (a literal load of poop).

Long story short, guess what caused it? (I'll blame cloth diapers.) But really, it was my fault - and the wipes that I was stupid enough to flush. Apparently there was an enormous blob of them when they cleaned out the pipes. How disgusting.

So now I have these little baggies to use for the wipes. Anybody have any other solution to disposing of wipes when you use cloth diapers?

---

Then last night, the baby woke up around 2:30. Nursed him, put him back to sleep. At 4, Sharks woke up, screaming and soaking wet. I had to change his sheets and clothes. Back to sleep. Then at 5 the baby pooped so loud it woke me up. So I figured I might as well change him.

(Starting to see a pattern here? I am. Poop. And now I realize I just wrote "I am poop." Which I am not. What I am is tired of poop.)

Right at the top of the stairs, I stepped on what felt like an arm. And you better believe I was freaked out. And then even more worried when I realized that it was Deedo. The little guy has apparently learned how to climb out of his pack-n-play.

After everyone was changed and back to sleep, all I could do was thank the Lord for protecting Deeds from falling down the stairs and protecting the baby and me from tripping over him. Quite a night.

Now we've got to work on the whole "stay in bed" thing. And Chet is installing a gate at the top of the stairs just to be safe.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

I know how lovely those sewage experiences can be! Living at Atherton Apt, we had a sewage backup at least once a semester. And our apartment got to enjoy the little bits of TP on the basement floor...along with the other gifts! Poop and me are not dear friends! Have you read my blog on the "poop panic attack?" Case in point. I miss you--but I love hearing about your world and those beautiful boys of yours!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lucht family said...

Oh friend, you are not the only one who has accidentally thrown some wipes in with a load of cloth diapers. I semi-solved the problem of doing this by buying one of those mini garbage cans, like the teeny tiny ones, and putting it next to the cloth diaper pail and using it exclusively for wipes.

I guess another solution is to cut up some old t-shirts and just use them with "bottom spray" and throw them in the wash with the diapers.